Monday, August 9, 2010

Away I Go...


For those of you reading this that do not know my story, I would like to share the short version with you. For those of you that do…humor me.

I am a nurse practitioner from Austin, TX and I have always wanted to “move” to Africa. It all started over 10 years ago in Nursing School when I read a book called The Hospital By the River by Dr. Catherine Hamlin. It is the true story of an Australian couple, both Obstetricians, that moved to Ethiopia and started a fistula hospital. I won’t go into detail about what a fistula is, but let’s just say that thousands of African women have been outcast from their families because of this complication of childbirth. This is a very common medical complication in third world countries and, unfortunately, being disowned & outcast is a very common social outcome. This couple started a hospital in Addis Ababa and began repairing fistulas, giving women back their lives & their dignity. After reading that book, I knew that one day I would be called to something similar.

Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;

Maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Rescue the weak and needy;

Deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

-Psalm 82:3-4

Fast forward to 2008, after lots of hours, night shifts, and grad school; I made it to Africa for the first time. I had the opportunity to go to Kenya with Music for Life, the organization responsible for the African Children’s Choir. I went with a team of seven people for three weeks to run a summer camp in Kibera, one of the world’s largest slums. My job was to teach health & hygiene classes and run a 2-day clinic. It was an amazing trip, one that would spur a heart change in my life. I was hooked. I saw extreme joy in the midst of great hardship. It was then that I knew Africa had so much more to teach me than I could ever teach Africa.

Since then I have been back twice to visit friends in Uganda & Rwanda. After each trip I have returned with new ideas of how I was going to stay connected to Africa, but not give up my life/job here in Austin. Clearly the Lord preferred his plan to mine, because I just took a leave of absence from my job & I am moving to Uganda through the end of the year. I leave tomorrow!

Never in my life have I felt so strongly that I would be walking in disobedience were I not to get on that plane & live out my dream. Every detail has been prayed over & every detail has been taken care of. I have 3 precious girls living in my home while I am gone, covering my mortgage. I have a sweet friend driving my car & paying my car insurance. I was able to take 6 weeks paid vacation (clearly I have been working too much to have that much time saved) before taking my leave of absence. I have never been a more perfect poster child for “nursing burnout”. Seeing what I see on a daily basis in my job is more than most people could handle in a lifetime. It was so clear that it was time to walk away. My body & soul needs rest …and the Lord said GO.

What I will be doing there is tentative. I have a few medical projects set up & I am surrendering the details to the Lord. It’s Africa, so lots of things work out & lots of things don’t. The need can be overwhelming & I have a skill that is in high demand. I ask that you pray for discernment & that I will allow the Spirit to guide my time there.

To be honest my friends, I don’t believe I could get on that plane in more pieces. I am more broken & raw than I think I have ever been. Broken by my job, broken by relationships, broken by the world, broken by myself. I can’t think of a scarier or more beautiful way to arrive in Uganda. I tell you this because much of what happens in the next 4 months will be posted here & please know that it will all be of the Lord.

I ask for your prayers. For what specifically, I don’t even know. When I emerge from the fog of preparation on the other side of the world, I’ll let you know. Until then, pray for the people of Uganda.

Away I Go…

12 comments:

  1. you will be close in my prayers, sweet emily. may god do amazing things through you! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you off with love & prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crying! Yea for doing this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You are so awesome and I know amazing things will come of this trip! Best wishes, lots of prayers; and I for one will love reading all about this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I just saw Mrs. Diane's post on your facebook and read your story! Just want you to know that my prayers are with you. It is awesome to hear how you are following God's call and how He is working out the details!

    Love,
    Mary DeVan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am inspired!! I can't wait to hear how the Lord uses you...broken before God...amazing!! You are in my prayers. I love you my dear friend!!
    love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily - I will be praying for you and looking forward to updates. When I read all of your story my heart became overjoyed for you because I can tell you from experience that when we are broken we are in position for God to do some amazing things. God does not despise brokenness, in fact he desires this at times in our lives. Part of Jesus' ministry is "to bind up the brokenhearted" . The hebrew word for "bind up" means to wrap around, bind up as a wound, to cover, bandage, enclose etc.
    So often when we have brokenness in any area of our lives we feel exposed and our emotions feel out of control. We often choose to "wall off" as a means of self protection. Walls can become prisons because not only do they keep things from going out of us (wrong emotions etc) they also keep needed things from coming into us (love, healing etc). Only God can put the pieces back together again, close up all the wounds, and bind together with a porous bandage that protects from infections, but keeps our hearts and hopes free to inhale and exhale love and other necessities of the Christian life.
    I hope this makes sense....I know it to be true. You are divinely position for a GREAT blessing. The "binder" of your soul as called you to Africa......for a "healing". Blessings to you, Lisa Clements

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Hopper!
    So wonderful to hear your heart! I can't wait to hear more! Thinking of you and praying for you!
    love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear about the adventure. You know my changed my life. Love you and praying for your time there. :) Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emily,
    I saw your link on facebook and came over to your blog to read... Wow, what an amzing story. I will be reading and praying for you and what God will do through you during your time in Uganda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Emily- what beautiful things you are doing in this world. So very proud to know you. I look forward on going on this journey of faith and love with you.
    Godspeed- Margaret Anderson

    ReplyDelete